You may be aware that MDMA is a drug increasing in popularity. Also known as Molly or Ecstasy, MDMA (methylenedioxymethamphetamine) is a hallucinogenic drug that gives a euphoric high. This drug is used recreationally by individuals across many demographics and comes in many forms. When it is in the form of a pressed tablet it is considered ecstasy, but when it is in powder form and placed into a capsule, it is considered Molly. No matter the form of the drug you’re familiar with, you should know that being in possession of MDMA is a felony.
If you’re caught in possession of Molly or Ecstacy, don’t waste any time in acquiring legal representation. The Orlando drug crime lawyer乐福彩票网s at The Umansky Law Firm have experience defending against possession charges for various drugs and can help settle your legal issues on the most favorable terms.
Florida Law Regarding MDMA Possession
According to , possession of Ecstasy (Molly/MDMA) is a third-degree felony in Florida. This means that you are accused of possessing 10 grams of the drug or less. Even a microscopic trace of the drug is considered possession.
If you are found to be in possession of more than 10 grams of the drug, you will be facing more serious charges, such as possession with intent to distribute or even trafficking. These charges carry severe penalties that drastically outweigh those of simple possession.
Penalties for an MDMA Possession Conviction
The penalties you’ll face for possession of 10 grams or less of MDMA include:
- Up to five years in prison
- Up to $5,000 in monetary fines
- Up to five years of probation
- Driver’s license suspension for up to two years
- Possible vehicle or property seizure or forfeiture
Based on Florida drug sentencing guidelines and the amount of MDMA you were caught in possession of, you may face trafficking charges and a mandatory minimum of three years in prison.
Defending Against MDMA Charges
Using our extensive experience in drug cases and our knowledge of the criminal justice system, we can put together a comprehensive defense on your behalf. Some of the types of defenses we may raise pertain to:
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If the police had no right to search you, and this search led to the discovery of the Molly/MDMA, we may be able to argue that the drug was uncovered due to an illegal action by the police.
- Lack of Knowledge: If you had the drug but did not know what it was, we can argue that you had no idea what type of drug it was and were unaware that it was illegal to have it in your possession.
- Guilt by Proximity: If the drug was found near you, the police may assume it was yours. We can argue that it was not yours and you had no idea that it was there.
Contact a Drug Charge Lawyer at The Umansky Law Firm
The Orlando drug crime lawyer乐福彩票网s at The Umansky Law Firm are highly skilled at handling MDMA possession and other related charges. Whether this your first time facing drug charges or you’re a repeat offender, we can begin constructing a strategy for your case from our initial review of your situation. Having been featured or quoted on numerous national media outlets and affiliates (including NBC, ABC, FOX, The Wall Street Journal, Newsweek, and many more), we are more than capable to take your case. As former prosecutors, we have tried hundreds of cases in the courtrooms of Florida. We provide special benefits that most law firms can’t even begin to meet.
Contact us online or call The Umansky Law Firm at 407-228-3838 now to schedule your free case evaluation today.