In light of highly-publicized shooting incidents, state and federal authorities are allocating an increasing number of resources to address gun crime. Florida gun laws are seeing major changes, which can affect law-abiding gun owners who may not be aware of the new legislation. Law enforcement agencies throughout central Florida have greater authority to remove guns from a 乐福彩票网 if they suspect that use it to commit a crime. It is now more important than ever to preserve your Second Amendment rights.
If you are a suspect in an offense involving the use of a firearm, the Orlando firearms lawyer乐福彩票网s with The Umansky Law Firm remain up-to-date on ever-evolving firearm legislation in Florida. We have the experience and dedication you seek to defend the charges against you. We eagerly strive to protect gun rights in an age of increased scrutiny of gun ownership and will do whatever it takes to preserve your rights at this challenging time.
Gun Ownership Restrictions in Florida
State and federal laws govern who may own and use a gun in Florida. Some citizens are barred from owning firearms and other weapons because they fail to meet the criteria. Convicted felons are just one group of people who cannot own or possess firearms within a specified time frame after their conviction. Others who are prohibited from owning firearms include:
- Fugitives from justice
- Those who are addicted to controlled substances
- Those who have been involuntarily committed to a mental health institution
- Those who have been dishonorably discharged from the U.S. Armed Forces
- Illegal immigrants
- Those who have renounced their U.S. citizenship
- Those who have an active protective order against them
- Those who have been convicted of a misdemeanor domestic violence offense
Additionally, you must be 21 or older to purchase a firearm in Florida.
Common Gun Crimes in Orlando
Weapons offenses that involve the use of firearms usually bring grave felony charges that could lead to years of prison time and hefty fines. You could also void your right to own a gun in the future if you are convicted of the charges against you. Common weapons charges in Orlando may include:
- Improper exhibition of a firearm
- Felon in possession of a firearm
- Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon
- Assault with a deadly weapon
- Illegal discharge of a firearm
- Possession of stolen firearms
- Illegal gun sales and trafficking
- Using a firearm under the influence
Gun rights lawyer乐福彩票网s with The Umansky Law Firm fight diligently to protect your legal rights. We will inform you of your rights throughout the criminal process, examine all the evidence against you, present evidence that places you in a favorable position, and work with you to carve the strongest defense strategy possible. Our goal is to get the charges against you dropped or reduced to lesser charges; or if necessary, to obtain a lighter sentence.
Penalties for a Conviction of a Firearm Offense
The exact punishment you may face depends entirely on the circumstances surrounding your case, including your criminal history; however, anyone who is convicted of a firearms offense in Florida may expect any of the following consequences:
- Hefty fines
- Potential jail or prison time
- Suspension of driving privileges
- Driver’s license revocation
- Potential vehicle forfeiture
- Community service
- Forfeiture of property or assets
- Forfeiture of basic civil rights
Even if you have never before been investigated for a criminal offense in Orlando, don’t take your chances. Fight the charges against you with the help of a competent law firm. The Umansky Law Firm’s attorneys hold over 100 years of combined experience practicing criminal law throughout central Florida. We are former prosecutors who will bring a unique advantage to your case. Call 407-28-3838 or email us a summary of your case to schedule a free consultation.